PSL pay tribute to Senzi Meyiwa

PSL.co.za pays tribute to a an immensely popular player who epitomized so much of what is good about South African football: Orlando Pirates and Bafana Bafana goalkeeper Senzo Meyiwa.
We look at some of his quotes and memorable moments. 

A winner and an achiever on the field, Meyiwa was a humble, likeable and down-to-earth individual off the field, much loved and respected across the country by football supporters, teammates, fellow professionals, the media, and of course everyone at Orlando Pirates, where he was very much a family member.

Meyiwa was turning 15 when he first joined the Pirates youth side back in 2002. Despite having made his PSL debut nine seasons back, the Umlazi-born goal custodian was still only 27-years-old when his life was so tragically cut short. 

Currently the Bafana Bafana number one and the Orlando Pirates captain, he was only just moving into the prime of his career, which promised so much more than the considerable amount he had already achieved.
 
Meyiwa, the peoples’ keeper, never taking the fans for granted:

“From all of us we want to thank S Africa for the love. On social, radio, tv. We appreciate your support for @BafanaBafana. We play for you.”

“I want to thank those supporters behind the goals. Those guys keep me focussed & sing waya waya. I always try do well for them especially.”

“We took a trip to the mall. Just a small break nje to say hi to the supporters. Sanibonani & thank you!”
 
A popular professional who always supported teammates and rival players alike:
(May 8 2014): “Congrats to the 3 GK nominees. I will work even more for my team & hopefully I will be with them next year. Ngibonga isupport yenu kodwa ;-) .“
(April 9 2014): Congrats @IIKHUNE_32_16 for 200 games. Not easy, but thanks to hard work & focus you made it. Another 200 to go. Well done outie yami.”
(October 2014): “While I appreciate the props for keeping clean sheet, I couldn't do it alone. Big ups Tower, Rivaldo, Festival, Hlatshwayo. Back 4 ibambile.”
(October 2014): “…want to congratulate umfana Rivaldo. Youngest @BafanaBafana player. The future is bright. Cool, calm, collected. Siyakubongela.”
(July 2014): “So happy to share the Chairman's Award with Oupa, and also to win Golden Gloves izolo. Thanks for support yenu.”
 
Showing his support for the youth:
“Good luck to u17 team. Nathi we started here hoping one day to become professional. This is your chance. Work hard.”

“Good luck #OPFCYouth in the diski challenge. Bengifisa ukunibukela but duty calls. I know you'll make us proud. Masiyeni bafana!”

Senzo Meyiwa retweeted: “@SenzoMey1 you are a blessing mchana you gave me gloves @ Bidvest and I passed em on to my keeper and we in regional finals siyabonga nzoro.”
 
On the mental challenges faced by goalkeepers:
"There are places where we keepers find it difficult to go to, but I'm determined to improve my game & keep more clean sheets."
"If the defence loses focus, it becomes difficult for me. Strikers are artists; very clever. They know where to put the ball."
 
Spain and Real Madrid goalkeeper, Iker Casillas, was a big inspiration to Meyiwa: “Sometimes dreams come true. This is the jersey from my hero Iker Casillas. He gave me after the Spain game. Siyabonga Casillas! My football hero. Legend.”
“I hope that I can be a positive influence to someone's game like Iker is to me. I always try my best and hopefully guys can learn from that.”

No comments

Powered by Blogger.