McCarthy turns 34

Regarded as one of the country’s most successful export since re-admission, Benni McCarthy turned 34 this this past weekend.

The Cape Town-born striker, who remains Bafana Bafana’s all time leading goalscorer with 31 international goals under his belt, spent his birthday on Saturday with kids in Rustenburg where he held some coaching clinics at the Mogwase Stadium.

The former FC Porto striker made his international career in 1997 against the Netherlands. He scored South Africa’s first FIFA World Cup goal when Bafana drew 1-1 with Denmark in France 98 FIFA World Cup.

“I can’t explain how I felt when suddenly all the kids shouted “Happy Birthday Benni, Happy Birthday Benni…and went on-and-on,” McCarthy told Orlandopiratesfc.com.

“It was a nice surprise; nonetheless, I am very happy that I celebrated my birthday with the kids, as they are very close to my heart.”
“I must say I was very impressed during the coaching clinics, there’s so much talent in attendance and with proper guidance and full support I believe many of these youngsters will be great players in the future.”

McCarthy led South Africa’s attack at both 1998 and 2003 FIFA World Cup. The Hanover Park-born has enjoyed an illustrious career that includes a UEFA Champions League medal with FC Porto where he was coached by arguably the best coach in the world at the moment, Jose Mourinho.
He made a successful switch to English side, Blackburn Rovers where he finished as the second top goalscorer in the English Premiership behind African, Didier Drogba. 

source: orlandopiratesfc.com and Psl.co.za

No comments

Powered by Blogger.