Bongani Zungu joins Downs

Bongani Zungu, who was credited with inspiring the Pretoria University mid-field last season earning him the AmaTuks Young Player of the Season, has signed for Mamelodi Sundowns. 

Zungu, who was also nominated for the PSL Young Player of the Year award, is a major coup for the Chloorkop side, but says he is not overawed by the abundant talent at Sundowns. 

The 20-year-old play-maker from Duduza in Nigel, grew up in Ekurhuleni before joining Dynamos in Limpopo. Tuks coach Steve Barker brought him into his side and he proved a massive revelation in his first season where he made his debut against Lamontville Golden Arrows. 

He made 25 appearances for Tuks last season, scoring seven goals – one of which was against his new team. 

“I signed for Sundowns knowing that there is massive pressure, but I am a mentally strong person and feel I can deal with it. It is my desire to win trophies, and I feel Sundowns is where I can achieve this. It has always been my dream to play for a big team like Sundowns, and I am looking forward to it,” the young Zungu said. 

“I know that I am going to have to work hard to earn my place on the team, but I will work hard, as I have always done,” he added. 

He says his partnership with Ramahlwe Mphahlele who was on loan to Tuks early last season has given him a sense of the level of expectation at Sundowns. It is, he says, also going to provide him with learning experience playing alongside experienced players who will be his team-mates at Sundowns. 

Zungu left Chloorkop on Tuesday morning immediately after signing to join the rest of the team in Polokwane where the players are preparing for what will be the biggest season – win or bust – for Sundowns.

No comments

Powered by Blogger.