Gumede delighted to be back at Pirates

Former South African Under17 National team captain Mbongeni ‘Shoes’ Gumede is delighted to rejoin the squad after spending a season on loan to Jomo Cosmos on the National First Division. 

Gumede who is a product of the Orlando Pirates development academy, told Orlandopiratesfc.com that he gained a lot of valuable experience playing for Ezenkosi and is looking forward to make a mark with the team this season. “Home is home,” said Gumede. 

“I missed being here (at Pirates). I have been at Pirates since I was 11 years old. I am glad to be back with the team for pre-season.

 I certainly hope I will be able to convince the team to give me a chance to fight for place here - it will be tough but I am ready to work hard. 

“I have matured over the years and I feel ready to fight. Pirates is a big team and the competition for places is obviously tough – let’s see what happens in the next few months,” insists Gumede. 

Meanwhile, Coach Augusto Palacios who groomed the players during his formative years, says that Gumede will in the future be a great asset to the senior team. 

“The boy played in all (development) divisions of football. He played in the Castel League, played in the NFD and also played in all categories of development. In all the teams he went to, except Cosmos, he was a Captain. Very disciplined player and capable of playing in any position. I wish him all the best and I hope he gets a chance to play for the senior team this season,” said Palacios. 


Gumede joins former development teammates, Brighton Mhlongo and Tshepo Liphoko.

No comments

Powered by Blogger.