Mhlongo-“I believe that I can be a mentor

Benson Mhlongo has spoken of his delight at joining Platinum Stars and how he will help the youngsters in the squad cope with the demands of the PSL.

Mhlongo arrived from Orlando Pirates earlier this month on a two-year deal, with the option for a further season.

The 31-year-old is excited about the new chapter in his career and believes he can help Dikwena achieve their goals.

“It is a new challenge for me and one that I am excited about,” he told the club’s website. “I have been brought here by coach Cavin Johnson as an experienced player who has lots to offer on the pitch and off it.

“I believe that I can be a mentor to the young boys here and provide leadership to the team. Those are my aims. I know I will have to work hard for my place in the side, nothing comes easy, but I am prepared to do that.”

The midfielder and coach before at Mamelodi Sundowns when the pair with League title winners in 2006, Mhlongo as a player and Johnson as assistant coach. The Bafana Bafana international says he is looking forward to re-acquainting himself with his coach.

“He has been a big help to me in my career and I enjoyed working with him in the past. I am sure it will be the same now. He has great experience in local football, even if it is as an assistant coach, or in development structures. I want to help him be a success.”

Johnson has confirmed that Mhlongo will cover both the central defensive and holding midfielder positions in the squad this coming season.

-Platinum Stars site

No comments

Powered by Blogger.